The Th. Schneider company participated in a wide variety of road and endurance races and hill climbs pre and post WWI. The company’s involvement in motor sport includes the Monte Carlo & San Sebastian Rally, Le Mans 24 hour, Spa 24 hour, Coupe de le Sarthe and numerous hill climbs in France but their participation in the French racing seasons of 1912, 1913 & 1914 are noteworthy.
The first significant event for 1912 was the Grand Prix de l’Automobile Club de France held at Dieppe over 25th & 26th June. The company entered two cars. Both were standard production chassis and side-valve engines and minimalist bodies. The engines were four cylinder 2,993cc with dimensions 80mm x 149mm. Car no.9 was driven by Rene Champoiseau and no. 20 by Rene Croquet.
Unfortunately for him Champoiseau retired in the fourth or fifth lap due to problems with the universal joint. However Croquet finished a creditable seventh in a race characterised by many retirements and formidable competition from Peugeot, Fiat and Sunbeam. Croquet was the second French car to finish after Boillot in the Peugeot who finished first. Croquet had averaged 90kph over 17h 30m.
The second event of interest for Th. Schneider in 1912 was the Coupe de la Sarthe on 9th September. For this race the company fielded four cars. Three of the cars were equipped with a new four cylinder of dimensions 82.5mm x 140mm and the fourth was fitted with the somewhat experimental sleeve-valve motor designed by Antoine Jaubert. The three conventional cars performed very well placing 3rd (no.1 driven by Rene Champoiseau), 6th (no.4 Rene Croquet) and 8th (no.15 Nicodemi). The sleeve-valve car (no.11) driven by Antoine Jaubert himself retired due to a broken magneto chain.
Overall the company’s performance in racing in 1912 was creditable and resulted in good publicity in France and abroad.